Occupational therapists assess individuals’ ability to safely mobilize in their community and natural environments, including home and workplaces. Occupational therapists address clients’ ability to safely operate and maneuver mobility aids and can identify barriers that may prevent safe mobility. Occupational therapists may be involved in recommending and prescribing mobility aids, transfer training and ensuring proper and safe use of equipment within the community.
An occupational therapy seating and mobility assessment may include:
- Assessment of clients’ mobility requirements
- Assessment of clients’ ability to safely use mobility aids in various environments
- Assessment for a mobility aid funded by the Assistive Device Program (ADP) (Ontario)
- Scooter measurement and recommendation
- Wheelchair measurement and recommendation